First, we completed a current copy analysis to clip out anything that we could reuse in the new site. Then we measured Simply up against their competition and drew boundaries around the direction we wanted to push both their audience and their own personality. The key here, was that the language needed to be accessible itself: written simply, beautifully and for a diverse audience. This unique challenge helped use to refine and strengthen our approach as we went.
Next, we isolated the core values of the company and distilled them into ten attributes that we could use to define the way we wrote the rest of the content. Then we outlined the voice and tone requirements based on those attributes and highlighted examples of how that copy would sound. When it was all packaged together, we used the content strategy to flesh out copy for every page starting with a clear hierarchy and page goals, while working directly with the designer throughout the process so each page was crafted around its copy. Finally, we helped the team achieve their launch deadline by jumping in and completing front-end development.
To get Simply ready for an upcoming conference, we designed their accessible and stunning business cards—debossed braille and flexibility to change and adjust their titles on the other, and some snazzy roll up banners based on the illustrations of the fabulous Geri Coady.
This was a fun project and a cause we’ve grown to support as we watched how accessible content features like alternative text and descriptive headlines broke open the internet for people of all abilities.
During this project,we really honed our accessibility knowledge, and we had a chance to strengthen our understanding by talking through things with Simply’s highly specialized team. Now, not only would we advocate for accessible content and a people first design focus, we’d insist on it.
Talk to us.
Learn more about our apprenticeship or talk to a trainer.